Jesus asked people to follow Him as God. This isn't a small order, and often, we simply follow him like a good teacher. Following him as God means surrendering all of who we are and what we hope to him.
First, what did he say?
- "If anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple."
- "Follow me... Leave the dead to bury their own dead. But as for you, go and proclaim the kingdom of God."
- "No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for the kingdom of God"
- "No one who has left home or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or fields for me and the gospel will fail to receive a hundred times as much in this present age: homes, brothers, sisters, mothers, children and fields—along with persecutions—and in the age to come eternal life."
Pros to surrendering:
- God will give you a hundred times more than you give up.
- God will grant you eternal life.
- You will walk with God.
Cons to surrendering:
- Persecution is pending.
- Surrender implies something immediate and final, no options.
Pros to living life normally:
- It's the easy route, no extra effort required.
- Your options are open for now.
Cons to living life normally:
- Lack of God and the Holy Spirit in your life.
- Lack of the extra blessing.
So what do you think? Is it worth it?
This is part of a series: Reflections.